Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Meatless Wednesday Gluten Free Sloppy Joes


I have to say with this recipe I was entirely not sure it was going to work and was fully prepared to be ordering a pizza instead. Much to my surprise it was really really good even my non-tofu eating husband thought it was amazing!

Gluten Free Meatless Sloppy Joes

1 pkg extra firm tofu (I used sunrise 350g pkg), crumbled
1/2 a large onion, finely chopped
1 whole bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 can aylmer chili accents diced tomatoes (if not available use 1 54oml can diced tomatoes and add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder)
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 4 ounce can tomato paste
1 tbs vinegar
1 tbs cane sugar
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp xantham gum
6 Gluten free hamburger buns

Directions
  1. In a large skillet, saute pepper, onions, celery, and garlic until the onions are translucent.
  2. Then add your tofu crumble and tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, salt, cumin, oregano, coriander, and xantham gum. Heat to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10mins.
  3. Meanwhile toast hamburger buns, if desired.
  4. Spoon mixture onto the bottom halves of the buns add the tops and Enjoy!
A yummy family meal that is quick and easy!
Sloppy Joes on FoodistaSloppy Joes

1 comment:

  1. I like your version of sloppy joes. I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this sloppy joes widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about this,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete