Monday, February 14, 2011

Mmm...Donut love!


Well I have been away battling a nasty cold since Friday but today I am feeling slightly on the mend. Over the weekend we worked on a new activity for the daycare, we created a rice box an indoor sand box of sorts. I purchased a 38L rectangular rubber maid tote, an 8kg bag of white rice, 4 bags of pinto beans, a bag of smooth rocks, and two bags of plastic animals put it all together in the box and presto indoor sand box! My Son loves it he added some of his cars to it and has been playing with it all weekend, all and all I spent was about $30 so I would say it was money well spent.

Today I am working on finishing my Valentine for my Son which I should have done this weekend but wasn't feeling well so now he is watching a movie and I am painting away. As a surprise for him I am baking some mini donuts which I have glazed with pink glaze they are Sugar Free well except the glaze and Gluten Free of course! Also for supper I am making Organic Gluten Free Chicken Quinoa Soup to help us battle this cold, I roasted an Organic Chicken last night and saved the juice from the roasting pan as well as some of the meat to make soup today. I didn't put any spices in the soup other than salt and pepper as I put Epicure Turkey Rub on the Chicken last night so the juice will carry that flavor.

Organic Gluten Free Chicken Quinoa Soup

All left over roast chicken juice
1 cup chicken meat, chopped
6 cups water
3/4 cup organic Quinoa
3 carrots, chopped
2 celery sticks including leaves, chopped
2 parsnips, chopped (dice them if your kids don't like eating them)
1/2 cup frozen organic peas
1/2 cup frozen organic green beans
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in the pot and bring to a boil then simmer for one hour or until quinoa and veggies are tender.

Mini Cake Donuts

2 cups Gluten Free Flour Mix see previous post
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 rice milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp organic nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325F
  2. lightly spray Donut Pan with cooking oil.
  3. In a medium sized bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl mix together the butter, milk, eggs, vanilla, apple sauce, agave nectar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
  5. Beat until well blended.
  6. Fill each donut hole 2/3 full.
  7. Bake 8 mins or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
Cool and remove from pan and dip into glaze. Decorate with sprinkles, nuts, shaved chocolate or coconut.


Glaze
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp hot water
2 drops Wiltons pink icing dye ( if coloring)

No comments:

Post a Comment